Let’s just say, this is the best pizza I’ve ever had in my life. It’s healthy, tasty, and not overpowering. It’s authentic Italian, and a recipe made by my mom once more. I’ve never had anyone say this pizza is not the best they’ve had, so why not make some for yourself? It tastes great grilled or baked, so it’s really up to what you like. Time to get bakin’!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water between 100-110 degrees
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
“Proofing” the yeast:
- To proof the yeast, take 1/3 of the water, put into a separate measuring cup and add 1 teaspoon sugar. Make sure the temperature of the sugar water is between 100-110 degrees, otherwise the yeast will not rise. The sugar will cool down the water, so be sure to check!
- Once the temperature is correct, add your teaspoon of yeast, set aside and let foam till it’s doubled in size, about 5-10 minutes. Then add all liquid into the dry ingredients and mix with a dough hook, adding more flour if the dough looks too sticky.
- Put dough into a bowl coated in olive oil, cover, and let rest for an hour or two until doubled in size. Punch down and let rest for another hour.
Making the pizza
- Punch down dough and let rest for 5 minutes, then roll out the dough on a floured pizza stone. Drizzle olive oil on top and spread around evenly. Add some chopped garlic to the top and cover with fresh mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Let bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until done to your liking.
I always love to finish it off with some fresh chopped basil from the herb gardens, and it really adds so much! Basil is already my favorite herb, but on this pizza, it really does it’s job. Of course, you are free to use whatever toppings you would like, but tomato-basil is my favorite! I love the olive oil spread instead of a standard tomato one, as to me the tomatoes can be overpowering. Not only that, but the garlic and olive oil is full of health benefits! I hope you enjoyed, and let me know if you have any more suggestions on what I should bake next!
Dancing with Chickens